Almost everyone needs a portable drill. Think about all the small projects where a powerful, compact, portable drill is just what you need to get the job done quickly and done right the first time. From tightening screws to hanging artwork to assembling furniture, toys, and other some-assembly-required items, a drill is the tool. This Dewalt DCD771C2 review will give you a good overview of high-quality tools that meet the requirements of the average person and last for years to come.
What Is the Dewalt DCD771C2?
The Dewalt DCD771C2 Compact Cordless Drill/Driver is a well-priced, powerful, compact drill that is durable enough for a professional to use, yet is so easy to use that it is a good fit for the homeowner with occasional projects. This is a sturdy drill that will last through years of rugged commercial use or years of handling a variety of household projects where a quality tool makes the job easier.
The Dewalt DCD771C2 is powered by a 20V lithium-ion battery. The drill comes with two batteries and a fast charger. This means little or no downtime even during heavy use. The batteries recharge in just 30 minutes, so a charged battery can always be ready. This drill has a brushed motor but a drill with the same specs can be purchased with a brushless motor at a somewhat higher price.
Small but Mighty
The Dewalt DCD771C2 is lightweight and compact, making it easy to handle and ideal for people with small hands. But its small size gives it access to tight spaces where larger tools can’t reach. Its high-performance motor and high-speed transmission operate at the two speeds of 0 to 450 RPM and 0 to 1500 RPM. It has a half-inch single sleeve ratcheting chuck for a tight bit grip.
Comfortable and Well Lit
If you are going to be using this tool for hours at a time, the comfortable, well-designed handle is very important. But it is a good feature for the occasional user as well. That person can use this tool with confidence because the grip has good balance and gives the user control of the drill.
The Dewalt DCD771C2 has a built-in LED light positioned above the trigger. This is ideal when you’re working in unlit or dark, confined spaces. You depress the trigger button to turn the light on and, when the trigger switch is released, the light automatically shuts off after 20 seconds. This is an excellent feature that fits with this drill’s ability to work in those hard-to-reach places that larger drills just can’t touch.
Image via Unsplash
How the Dewalt DCCD771C2 Compares
For this Dewalt DCD771C2 review we picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare.
- Dewalt DCD796D2
- Porter-Cable PCCK607LB 20V MAX
- Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL 1/2″ Hammer Drill/Driver
Product Comparison Table
Dewalt DCD771C2 20V MAX
- Dewalt drill has compact and lightweight design that fits into tight areas
- High performance motor of the power drill delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability completing a wide range of applications
- High speed transmission of Dewalt 20V drill delivers 2 speeds (0-450 & 1,500 rpm) for a range of fastening and drilling applications
- 1/2-inch single sleeve ratcheting chuck provides tight bit gripping strength
- Ergonomic handle delivers comfort and control. Tool Height-6.5 inch
Ease of Use
The Dewalt DCD771C2 is easy to use because of its compact size and weight. It’s simple controls make it easy to change the speed of the drill as needed and to control the light feature without stopping the operation of the drill.
The two batteries that come with the drill make this an efficient model even under a heavy production schedule. The batteries recharge in about 30 minutes, meaning there is little or no downtime even under the most demanding pace. This small drill operates at high-performance speeds that are controlled as needed while the drill is running.
Besides being lightweight and compact, this drill has a well-designed grip that is comfortable to hold, has good balance, and makes this drill easy for the occasional user to control and comfortable for the professional who uses it for long stretches.
The Dewalt warranty is one of the reasons this brand is so highly regarded in the tool world. Dewalt offers a three-year limited warranty from date of purchase and will repair without charge any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship.
In addition, the company offers a one-year free service contract during which time the company will maintain the tool and replace worn parts caused by normal wear. They also offer a 90-day money-back guarantee. They will refund the purchase price within that time frame if the customer is not satisfied for any reason.
- Reasonably priced for the quality and performance of this tool
- Lightweight and compact
- Lithium-ion batteries and fast charger
- Excellent warranty and service contract
- Keyless chuck makes it easy to change bits
- Not suited for heavy-duty jobs
- Doesn’t have a bit holder
- Doesn’t come with any bits
DEWALT DCD796D2 20V
- DEWALT brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed for DEWALT 20V hammer drill
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Compact (7.5-inch front to back), lightweight (3.6 lb) design fits into tight areas
- High-speed transmission with two speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM) delivers up to 30% faster application speeds
- Ergonomic comfort grip handle provides ideal balance and tool control
The Dewalt DCD796D2 Cordless Drill is a slightly larger and more powerful model in the Dewalt line of cordless drills. This drill has a brushless motor which can mean up to 57% more run time from a single battery charge than a brush style motor. The Dewalt DCD796D2 uses XR Lithium-ion batteries. It has a fuel gauge so the operator can easily see how much charge is left before getting up on a ladder or scaffolding.
This drill is compact and lightweight to accommodate work in tight spaces. It has a high-speed transmission with two speed settings, from 0 to 550 RPM and from 0 to 2000 RPM. The metal 1/2-inch ratcheting chuck gives this drill better bit gripping strength than drills with plastic chucks.
The handle is well-designed for both comfort and control. The LED three-mode light system provides light for working in dark spaces. The light is as much as 20 times brighter than the lights in earlier Dewalt drill models. This drill also has a spotlight mode that will operate for up to 20 minutes for continuous work in dark spaces. The kit includes the drill, two batteries, battery charger, the kit box and a belt hook.
Ease of Use
The Dewalt DCD796D2 Cordless Drill is easy for a professional to use for those jobs where a compact drill is useful. It is also easy for the home user to bring out for those occasional projects where a powerful, controllable drill is the right tool. The battery system means a charged battery can always be available.
This drill has a powerful motor powered by an excellent lithium-ion battery system that includes a charger that fully charges the spare battery in 30 minutes or less. The two-speed transmission gives the user control of the drill speed. The fuel gauge feature enables the user to stay on top of how much charge is available.
The Dewalt DCD796D2 is compact but very sturdy. Despite its light weight, it is a rugged drill that can handle tough use. The drill comes in a kit with two batteries, charger, bag and belt hook.
The Dewalt DCD796D2 Cordless Drill has the same outstanding warranty as the Dewalt DCD771C2.
- Powerful brushless motor and two-speed transmission
- Fuel gauge
- LED lighting system
- About twice the price of the Dewalt DCD771C2
- Doesn’t have a bit holder
- Doesn’t come with bits
PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill
- Brushless motor of Porter Cable 20V drill provides 50% more runtime
- Powerful motor on Porter Camble tools has 370 MWO of power for heavy duty applications with minimal stall
- 1/2-inch ratcheting chuck of the power tool combo kit is made for improved and reliable bit retention
- Transmission has 1,800 MAX RPM for speed of drilling & fastening applications
- Compact size of 7.4 inch for work in tight spaces
The Porter-Cable PCCK6007LB Drill Driver has a powerful brushless motor and a transmission that performs at speeds up to 1800 RPM for high-speed drilling and fastening. It has a half-inch ratcheting chuck to ensure reliable bit retention. Like the other drills in this Dewalt DCD771C2 review, this drill is small and lightweight, making it well suited for working in tight spaces. The kit includes the drill, two PCC680L batteries, and one PCC699L battery charger.
Ease of Use
The Porter-Cable PCCK607LB Brushless Cordless 1/2″ Drill Driver is easy to use and easy to handle given its compact size and lightweight construction.
This drill driver is a high-performing compact cordless drill capable of operating at speeds up to 1800 RPM. It can be used efficiently and comfortably in small spaces while performing at a high level in all conditions. The brushless motor operates about 50% longer on a charge than the brushed motors.
This Porter-Cable drill is designed as a powerful hand tool for use by professionals and homeowners alike. It is an attractive, compact drill that comes with batteries and charger but doesn’t have a case or carrying bag.
This Porter-Cable drill is backed by a manufacturer’s three-year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
- Powerful, brushless motor
- Performs at speeds up to 1800 RPM
- Compact size good for tight spaces
- Doesn’t come with a case or carrying bag
- Its compact size limits the range of projects it can handle
Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL
- POWERSTATE Brushless Motor delivers 1,200 in-lbs of Peak Torque and up to 2,000 RPM for Faster Drilling Speeds
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence prevents damage to the tool and battery due to overloading or overheating
- REDLITHIUM Batteries deliver more work per charge and more work over the life of the battery
The Milwaukee 2704-20 1/2″ Hammer Drill/Driver is a very powerful tool capable of handling heavy-duty drilling and fastening projects. This larger, more powerful drill model has a brushless motor capable of delivering 1200 in-lbs of torque and operating at speeds up to 2000 RPM when faster drilling is required. Its Redlink Plus Intelligence system recognizes when the tool is in danger of overloading or overheating and interrupts the operation.
Ease of Use
The Milwaukee is sold as a “bare tool,” so the user needs to purchase batteries and battery charger separately. It is easy to operate but is a larger and heavier drill than the other models in this Dewalt DCD771C2 review.
This Milwaukee drill is a powerful model capable of handling a wide range of drilling and driving jobs. Its brushless motor provides for longer runs on one battery charge and it is capable of operating at high speed when needed.
The Milwaukee 2704-20 Drill is a powerful hammer drill. It is sold as a drill only, so the batteries, charger, case or bag, and other accessories must all be purchased separately. In a shop where there are a number of tools using the same batteries and chargers this might not be an issue, but for a homeowner, it is less convenient than purchasing a complete kit.
This Milwaukee cordless drill has a five-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Suited for more heavy-duty jobs than the compact models
- Built-in system to prevent overheating
- Powerful brushless motor
- Drill is sold as the tool only, batteries not included
- Weighs more than others in this Dewalt DCD771C2 review
- Larger size makes it less adaptable to small spaces
What Is the Dewalt DCD771C2?
Image via Amazon
This Dewalt DCD771C2 review raises the question “Is this drill worth buying?” The answer to that question is a definite yes. When this drill is compared in this Dewalt DCD771C2 review to other models of comparable quality from highly respected tool manufacturers, it more than holds its own. It is well-priced, either to be added to a professional’s toolbox or for the homeowner who will need just such a tool many times over the years. This is a drill that will hold up for both those users.
This drill is an excellent size for a home tool. It has its own case and won’t require much storage space. It can be used in the kind of small or confined spaces such as cupboards and drawers that are common in home projects. It is also ideal for many professional jobs, especially those with repetitive screw driving and removing, where its lightweight, compact size and comfortable grip give it advantages over heavier, larger tools.
The Dewalt DCD771C2 drill rates as top-notch to answer the question of whether it is worth it. The price is right and the Dewalt design, quality, and warranty give the purchaser confidence that this drill is a good choice.
Last update on 2021-07-26 at 17:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API